Monday, March 21, 2011

Ethiopia's Marga wins gold at cross-country worlds

(March 21, 2011, Addis Ababa, Golf Tips)--Ethiopia's Imana Marga prevented Kenya from repeating last year's gold medal sweep at the cross-country running world championships by winning the men's 12-kilometer race on Sunday.

Marga set the pace at 33 minutes and 50 seconds, breaking away from his chasers in the final 200 meters to finish two seconds ahead of Kenya's Paul Kipngetich Tanui and three ahead of Kenya's Vincent Kiprop Chepkok.

"Before I used to think of myself as a track runner but this winter I have got to like cross country races more," said Marga, whose previous cross-country win had come in December 2009.

Kenya's Vivian Jepkemoi Cheruiyot, the world champion at 5000 meters, won the women's eight-kilometer race in 24 minutes, 58 seconds. Countrywoman Linet Chepkwemoi Masai settled for silver for the third consecutive year after falling away from Cheruiyot midway though the final lap to finish nine seconds behind.

"I feel very happy, because I hadn't any medal," said Cheruiyot, who had finished eighth three previous times. "I'm very happy about Masai because we are friends outside the competitions and we also train together."

Olympic 10,000 meter bronze medalist American Shalane Flanagan finished 12 seconds off the pace in third to become the first non-African born medallist since 2004 and first American medalist since 2003. Flanagan, who had a shot at the silver, said she was happy with the bronze.

"I was just so happy to be in the spot I was in. I didn't realize how close I could be (to second)," she said. Kenya claimed gold in both junior events, with Geoffrey Kipsang Kamworor taking the men's eight-kilometer race and Faith Chepngetich Kipyegon winning the women's six-kilometer course.

The winners of the senior races received $30,000, with the silver medalists getting $15,000 and bronze winners taking home $10,000.
Source: Golf Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment