Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Mulatu of Ethiopia coming to NZ

(Oct 19, 2011, NZ Herald)--With an amazing ability to bring together different streams of music, vibraphone master Mulatu Astatke is recognised as the orginator of his own invention: Ethio-jazz. Ahead of his first New Zealand show, Volume talked to the Godfather.
The Ethiopian music scene has always stood out because of its incredible diversity. Spend a day listening to the many volumes of Buda Musique's Ethiopiques series and you'll end up not seeing the wood for the trees; from Latin influenced rhythms to exotic strings and a cappella sounds reminiscent of the Arabic peninsula, it's all there.

So don't expect a taste of typical Ethiopian music when Mulatu Astatke's grinning face appears on stage at The Powerstation next month; there isn't any. What Astatke's Ethio-jazz stands for is a blend of Latin jazz and Deep South swamp funk decorated with delightful, mysterious vibraphone melodies similar to those you used to hear whenever things got really scary during an episode of Twin Peaks.

"The vibraphone is an extension of the balaphone, an African instrument that's also played with two stakes," Astatke says. "As an African I like to stay close to my roots, which is part of the reason why I chose to play the vibraphone."

While Astatke has reached a legendary status in recent years, recognition hasn't always come naturally for him: "I really struggled to get people to understand my music when I started more than 40 years ago. It's probably because of these difficult times early on in my career that I really appreciate to see my music flourish now." Read more from NZ Herald »

No comments:

Post a Comment