Thursday, April 07, 2011

Accused killer confessed to friend, court told

Toronto Sun, April 06, 2011
An Ethiopian immigrant confessed to a family friend that he killed his estranged wife to salvage their infant son’s mind, his murder trial heard Wednesday.

In an audiotaped conversation heard in court, Amin Kassim told Ayan Mahdi that he shot his common-law spouse Muluka Hassan Ali and then ran off with their two-year-old son, Sammy, on May 14, 2005.

“I did it for my child so that his mind will not be spoiled. I believed my mother and family will raise him,” Kassim told Mahdi in an intercepted phone call.

Mahdi broke down on the witness stand as she heard the tape, which was surreptitiously recorded hours after the homicide.

Kassim wanted his infant son to be raised by his mother, the tape showed.
Kassim also said he wanted to kill himself and that he didn’t want to surrender because “I don’t want to suffer in the hands of white people.”

Kassim, 36 had pleaded not guilty to the first-degree murder of Ali, 213 and to the attempted murder of Marcello Joseph Mossa, 61, a cabbi who took him to a secluded industrial area near Black Creek Dr. and Weston Road.

In their phone conversation, Mahdi asked if Muluka was sleeping when the violence erupted. Kassim replied that he and his spouse were drinking.

The hulking immigrant admitted abusing his wife and then added that he killed her because he feared getting into trouble for the assault.

“She doesn’t listen to me and hit her, you know I hit her very much,” Kassim said “I hit her with my hand too much. If I leave her like that, I thought she’s going to put me in trouble then I dropped her into the living room, then I was mistaken and pulled the trigger. Shot her once and continue shooting,” Kassim said

In her opening to the jury last month, Crown attorney Beverley Richards said Kassim shot her four times in the head and took photos of Ali’s bullet-riddled body on the living room floor of her Church St apartment.

Kassim spent 36 hours as a fugitive before ETF officers apprehended him. An unharmed Sammy was found earlier at the home of Amin’s mother.

Within an hour of the killing, Kassim confessed to his mom, court heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment