Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The Passing of Ethiopian Prime Minister Meles Zenawi

Press Statement
Hillary Rodham Clinton
Secretary of State
Washington, DC
August 21, 2012

I was deeply saddened to learn of the passing of Prime Minister Meles Zenawi of Ethiopia. I admired the Prime Minister’s personal commitment to transforming Ethiopia’s economy and to expanding education and health services.

He was an important and influential voice in Africa, and we especially valued his role in promoting peace and security in the region. I am confident that Ethiopia will peacefully navigate the political transition according to its constitution.

On behalf of the American people, I would like to offer my sincere condolences to the people of Ethiopia, and to reaffirm our commitment to a strong partnership focused on strengthening development, democracy and human rights, and regional security.

US Department of State

PRN: 2012/1334

No comments:

Post a Comment