Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Maid still fighting for her life after gas leak blast

(July 25, 2012, Dubai)--An Ethopian maid has defied doctors’ prognostications and survived a horrific explosion caused by a gas leak. Medics at Rashid Hospital gave burn victim Azeb Abebe just 24 hours to live after she suffered agonising injuries when the blast tore through her employer’s home.

But the 24-year-old has clung to life despite sustaining third degree burns to 81 per cent of her body. Now her employer, Masood Salem, has launched a Facebook page to encourage others to donate to Azeb’s spiralling medical bills.

Salem, an IT sales executive and Azeb’s employer, told Gulf News: “She was burning from head to toe. Her clothes were on fire and she was trying to get them off. “Initially, doctors said that she would not survive more than 24 hours due to the extent of her injuries. But the fact that she has managed to pull through for nine days now is a victory. Maybe God has other plans for her.”

The blast happened in the kitchen of Azeb’s employer’s villa on July 15. Azeb was busy preparing breakfast when the gas blast occurred shortly after 6.20am. Flames engulfed her whole body, burning her face, chest, back, and legs. Salem was woken by the explosion, ran to the kitchen and found Azeb on fire. He put a blanket around her to put the fire out and then called 999. Paramedics arrived 5 minutes later.

She has been in a critical condition at the intensive care unit (ICU) of Rashid hospital ever since and her whole body is bandaged. Azeb is unconscious as doctors have kept her sedated to allow her body to heal and to manage the terrible pain she would otherwise experience. Initial police findings have confirmed the explosion was due to a gas leak from the pipe connecting the oven to the gas cylinder. Read more from Gulf News »

No comments:

Post a Comment